MOROCCO TOWN COUNCIL
December 17, 2019
Bob Gonczy opened the meeting at 7:00 P.M. Board Members present were Duke Gagnon, Scott Hivley, Treasurer Sherri Rainford, Dustin Gary and Town Employee Brian Vanderwall was also in attendance.
Turning Change into Opportunity
- Scott Deneau from the Planning Commission came to the meeting. Scott is recommending that Nikki Kimbrell be Mike Williamson’s replacement on the Planning Commission. Duke made a motion to accept the Planning Commission’s recommendation and Scott second. Motion passed 3-0.
- Scott Deneau always thanked the Board publicly for taking down the tree by his house.
- The Tree Lighting went very well. Duke thanked all the people involved with getting the tree here and all the hard work that went into it. It was a great time and the turn out gets bigger and bigger every year.
- Bob presented the Board the MCO report. Bob talked to the board about several things in the report. One being the collection system. A copy of this report is being made a part of the minutes.
- Bob attended the County Council meeting on December 13, 2019. He asked for $500,000 for the water tower. The Council voted unanimously to give the Town the $500,000. We should receive this money in January.
- MCO Contract- Bob made a motion to approve the MCO contract. Duke seconded. Motion passed 3-0. Bob said he would like to investigate other avenues in the future. One of these options is for the Town to have our own certified operator. The MCO contract keeps increasing every year.
Clerk Treasurer’s Report
- Scott made a motion to approve the November claims and Duke seconded. Motion passed 3-0. Bob asked about a few General Claims that we were presented for approval. One was for the water bills that were paid of me and Melissa. I explained that I take the water bills out of several employees’ checks. Another claim was for the Christmas light reimbursement and mileage. I had to run to several different places to get the same lights that were on the poles. The Board was satisfied with the explanations.
- Scott made a motion to approve the November 5, 2019 minutes. Duke seconded. Motion passed 3-0.
- Duke made a motion to accept the 2020 Fire Protection Contract. Scott seconded. Motion passed 3-0.
- 2020 Salary Ordinance- There were two changes on the Ordinance, One was adding a $50 a day stipend for testing on the weekends. This will be split between water and sewer. Another was a 3% increase in the Clerk Treasurer Salary. Duke made a motion to accept the 2020 Salary Ordinance and Scott seconded. Motion passed 3-0.
- Sherri gave the Board an amendment to the Salary Ordinance for 2019. This amendment was made because of the Christmas bonuses. Duke made a motion to accept the amendment and Scott seconded. Motion passed 3-0.
Town Marshal- Report to be submitted
- Report submitted
Town Attorney: (Becky Goddard)
Becky provided the Board with three Blight Resolutions. These are for 309 E. State St, 212 S Polk St, and 303 S. Polk St. We have the title searches back. Now we have to get the properties appraised. Bob made a motion to declare the three properties blighted and for Becky to move forward with the properties. Scott seconded. Motion passed 3-0.
Bob made a motion to quit claim the Town Hall, 206 E State St., and the 3 lots on State St. to the Morocco Economic Development. Duke seconded. Motion passed 3-0.
There will be a special meeting on Friday, December 20 at 3:00p.m. with the Morocco Town Board and the Morocco Economic Development. Sherri will post about the meeting and send an email to the newspaper.
The Principal at Morocco Elementary asked for a donation to the backpack program. This program gives the kids the option to take home food on the weekends. Scott made a motion to donate $200 for the program and Duke seconded. Motion passed 3-0.
Bob made a motion to donate around $600 to the American Legion Bowling Alley. Duke seconded. Motion passed 3-0.
____________________ ___________________ _______________
Robert Gonczy Duke Gagnon Scott Hivley