MOROCCO TOWN COUNCIL
June 6, 2017
Bob Gonczy opened the meeting at 7:00 P.M. Board Members present are Duke Gagnon, and Clerk Treasurer Sherri Rainford was also present. Town Marshal Dustin Gary was also in attendance.
- Bob opened the meeting with a moment of silence in memory of Gerald Born. He passed away on May 31, 2017 and was a member of the Morocco Planning Commission.
Turning Change Into Opportunity
- Sidewalks- New sidewalks for the Town Hall and in front of Jim Reed’s office and across the street in front of laundry mat.
- Talk about replacing the playground mulch with rubber. Duke made a motion to approve the mulch up to $10,000. Bob seconded. Motion passed 2-0.
- Cender and Cender agreement for the bond refinance. This will refinance the wastewater bonds. It will save the Town around $100,000. Pat and Jacob both agree that this is a good thing. Duke made the motion to enter into the agreement and Bob seconded. Motion passed 2-0.
- Aaron Flowers from MCO has submitted a report on the Water and Sewer Plants. A copy of this report will be made part of these minutes.
Clerk Treasurer: (Sherri Rainford)
- Duke made a motion to approve the May claims. Bob seconded. Motion passed 2-0.
- Duke made a motion to approve the minutes from the May meeting. Bob seconded. Motion passed 2-0.
- Homecoming Beer Garden was a great success. We would like the Homecoming Committee to come to the next meeting so we can recognize them. Sherri will contact them and see if we can get that set up.
- Report to be submitted.
Town Attorney: (Jacob Taulman)
- Jacob sent a letter to Judy Maggio. She said that she would take care of the garbage and tires that were still on the property. There is still some junk that needs to be cleaned up.
- The Board gave Jacob a list of properties that we are interested in taking off the tax sale. Jacob will contact Sharon Dewing.
Karen Williams from The United Methodist Church is asking for a donation for $500 for a light meal for Bible School. Duke made a motion to grant the donation and Bob seconded. Motion passed 2-0.
Steve Wilson attended the meeting. He is the new editor of the Newton County Enterprise.
The River Church is asking the Board to donate $500 for the Summer Fun Fest. Duke made a motion and Bob seconded. Motion passed 2-0.
Junior Achievement is asking for a $500 donation. Duke made a motion to approve the donation and Bob seconded. Motion passed 2-0.
Bev Bingham is attending about possibly starting friends of the park. Bev will coordinate a meeting date and time. This group will help to beautify the Town’s parks.
Next meeting is on Wednesday, July 5, 2017.
____________________ ___________________ _______________
Robert Gonczy Rick McCann Duke Gagnon